Most people associate angle grinders with flying sparks seen in metal workshops or in large construction sites. I assure you there’s more to angle grinders than that.
When it comes to versatility, angle grinders can really do a lot. They are handheld power tools that can perform different tasks ranging from metal cleaning, polishing, and sharpening cutting edges, to cutting objects such as bars and rods, pavers, stone, concrete or even removing old mortar.
The abrasive disc on the angle grinders is responsible for cutting through the various substance. Although the discs look similar, they’re designed for different cutting tasks.
Angle grinders got their name from the task that they are mostly used for. When you turn the angle grinder, you can use the edge to make really deep cuts on different substances. However, the flat end of the disc can also be used for polishing and wearing out different materials.
Although the abrasive disc can cut through any material, they are best used on hard materials such as metals and stones. Using them on soft materials such as wood will cause the material to melt or catch fire because they won’t be able to withstand heat buildup during cutting. For cutting wood we recommend using a miter or a circular saw.
Angle Grinder Uses
While the angle grinder is widely used in metal workshops together with drill presses for drilling through metal and construction sites, it also finds a lot of uses in the home, a service garage, or an auto repair shop. There are many things to do with an angle grinder.
There will always be the need for you to cut to through a hard material either to perform emergency rescues, to manufacture another object, to make things fit into trash bins more conveniently or to sharpen and polish your garden tools.
What is an angle grinder used for
- Cutting steel bars or rods, metal sheets, bolts, and screws.
- Sharpening cutting edges of garden tools such as axes, shears, shovels, and other chopping tools. This same job also can be done with a bench grinder.
- Cutting pavers, bricks, slab blocks, tiles, and also rooting out old mortar.
- Cleaning rust, paint and caked-up cement from metal surfaces. For example, cement mixers, gates, and fences, trowels and spades etc.
- Shaping objects and materials. You need some level of expertise to achieve this.
Types of Angle Grinders
There are four major types of angle grinders, each having their own peculiarities, pros and cons. Selecting the correct angular grinder for a job will make you carry out the job more efficiently. polishing.
Electric Angle Grinders
- Made in Germany
- World Class production facilities and techniques
- Absolute focus on quality by our employees at every Stage of production
- Manual, Hybrid and fully automated assembly systems
- German engineering and ingenuity
- Powerful 7.5 AMP motor for high output power in a more compact tool (only 4.5 pounds)
- Small diameter barrel grip (only 2 to 1/2 inches ) for added comfort
- Labyrinth construction seals and protects the motor and bearings from dust and debris for longer tool life
- Lock on/off feature for continuous operation
- AC/DC switch for use with alternative power source
- Powerful– with an 8 amp motor, This grinder is able to handle big and small household tasks.
- More Control– the 3-position side handle allows greater control in multiple positions.
- Easy guard adjustments– No tools are needed to adjust the safety guard position.
- Safety lock– This grinder is equipped with paddle switch safety lock which prevents accidental start-up.
- Convenient storage–wrench storage is conveniently located in the side handle. Never search for the wrench again.
- The product is 4" Angle grinder kit
- Easy to use
- The product is manufactured in China
- Powerful 6.0 AMP motor delivers 11,000 RPM for the most demanding applications
- Small circumference barrel grip (only 2-1/4") for added comfort
- Compact: Weighing only 3.75 pounds, the Bosch 1375A Angle Grinder is lightweight, compact, and ideal for metal workers, vehicle fabricators, plumbers and other professionals who use grinders on a daily basis
- Power: The angle grinder features a Powerful 6.0 amp motor to produce 11,000 no load rpm for professional cutting and grinding applications; The Efficient motor was designed with an extremely small field diameter, letting the user grind or cut with ease
- Comfort: The 1375A offers a 2 position side auxiliary handle specifically designed to angle to a natural position for maximum operator comfort; The top handle of the angle grinder is also ergonomically designed
- Convenient: The angle grinder also features Bosch’s Service Minder Brush System to eliminate guesswork and stops the tool when preventative maintenance is required; A 5/8 inches to 11 inch spindle works with a wide array of sizes, mounting the most popular accessories
- Durable: The 1375A angle grinder features an epoxy coated design to protect the tool from abrasive debris; It was also designed with a sealed switch to keep dust and debris from entering the switch mechanism
This is the most common type of electric angle grinder, it makes use of electric power to operate the motor. Due to its popularity, many electric angle grinders from different manufacturers are available in the market.
Since they are powered by electricity, they can only be used where you have a nearby electrical outlet. So, getting an electric angle grinder with enough cord length is essential, however, you can extend the range with an extension cord.
With an electric angle grinder, you can work for many hours without interruptions as long as you’re always connected to electric power. Large angle grinders will most times be electric and more powerful, making them require an additional handle to support the tool during operation.
- Unlimited Runtime
- Easy to use
Battery-Powered Cordless Angle Grinders
Battery operated angle grinders run on battery, so they don’t require electric cords. This ability makes it easier to move them about during operation and transportation from one work area to another. You can use them in high locations without having to bother about the proximity of an electrical outlet.
However, these portable angle grinder with cutting disc have limited run time before the batteries need to be replaced or recharged. How long a battery lasts depends on the type of the battery and the voltage capacity. Lithium-ion batteries are more preferred to Ni-cad batteries because they last longer and can be recharged easily.
It’s better to have a backup battery if you’re opting for a battery-powered angle grinder so you can use it while charging the replaced one.
- Easy to control and maneuver
- Unlimited work area range
- Less powerful
- Limited runtime
Pneumatic Angle Grinders
- COMFORT: With a lightweight composite housing and ergonomic design, the Max Series Angle Grinders are easier to work with for long periods of time.
- POWER: With an ideal power-to-weight ratio, the Max Series Angle Grinders are great for high-performance material removal.
- VERSATILE: The Max Series Angle Grinders are a versatile set of tools you can use in most major markets, from vehicle repair and body work to construction and metal fabrication.
- Arbor size: 5/8”-11
- Included Components: 3445MAX Air Grinder, handle and 2 wrenches
- Seven inch angle sander has a free air speed of 4500 RPM and is ideal for roughing body filler, buffing, removing rust or smoothing welds
- Includes heavy-duty ball bearing construction that provides reliable, vibration-free performance
- Lightweight, balanced design helps to reduce fatigue and muffled exhaust helps keep decibel level low
- Sander uses a standard 1/4" NPT air outlet to an air compressor and can be used for buffing, sanding or grinding
- Auxiliary side handle can be switched for right and left hand operation allowing for ambidextrous use
- Locking lever with tease throttle
- Front exhaust
- Ergonomic Grip
- Contoured throttle lever for versatility and control
- No load speed: 10,000 RPM
- Meets ANSI specifications;
- Ideal for removing rust, smoothing welds, polishing, and light cutting jobs
- Powerful grinding performance with a free speed of 11,000 RPM
- Hardened steel bevel gears and an aluminum body for increased durability
- Auxiliary side handle for increased tool control
- Variable speed trigger locks automatically for increased user safety
This type of angle grinders makes use of air pressure supplied by air compressors to operate. They are usually more powerful than other types of angle grinders, but when you add in the cost of an air compressor, they could be costlier.
If you already have an air compressor in your store, then this type of angle grinder will be perfect for you.
Although this tool is available in a small size, it produces a lot of power, sometimes more than electric ones.
Similar to other types of grinders, it is also possible to attach an additional adjustable handle and a safety guard.
- Extended run time
- More powerful
Gas Powered angle grinders. Most Powerful Angle Grinder
This is also a type of cordless angle grinder in which gasoline is used to power their motor rather than electricity. They are usually the most powerful angle grinders available, having enough power to perform the most difficult tasks.
However, they are quite heavy and can be very expensive to maintain. You need to constantly refill for them to function ceaselessly.
- Very Powerful
- Quite heavy
- Emission of gases that are not environmentally friendly
Different Types of Angle Grinders Discs
Each task carried out with angle grinders either polishing, cutting or grinding, have discs that are purposely assigned for them. Attempting to use say a cutting disc to grind or vice versa will only damage the disc.
Stone cutting discs can actually be used to cut metal but it can tear up and damage the disc, it can also cause serious injury to yourself or people around you. That's why there are different types of discs for an angle grinder.
Reading the label on the discs with the materials you can use them on is easier to understand.
Let’s look at the angle grinder wheel types so you can know which one to use for any task you need to perform with an angle grinder.
Abrasive discs angle grinder. Diamond cutting discs
- Extended performance diamond matrix provides 350x's the life of conventional abrasives and aggressive material removal
- Large Grinding segments with heat treated steel bodies which provides increases durability and wheel life