For a table saw owner, a miter gauge is a vital component. A gauge that ensures precision and quality cuts is even more important as it determines the success of its application. If you have also been wondering what would make the best angle and square cuts with your table saw, getting the best table saw miter gauge should be on your to-do list.
A table saw miter gauge helps to remove any margin of error on cuts. This guarantees the user excellent results all the time. In light of that, this review takes into consideration the top five miter gauges that you may want to invest in.
In the review, read about our editor's choice, the budget, and best quality picks, as well as their specifications. We have also compared their key features and benefits, pros, and cons and included a buying guide for you.
Our Top Pick for Table Saw Miter Gauge
Our editor’s choice for the best table saw miter gauge is the INCRA Miter1000/HD Miter.... The miter gauge fits both a professional and DIYer’s needs with its patented glide lock, expansion disks, and a 180-degree angle lock. Also fitted with a laser cut and heavy-duty machined components, you can depend on it to help you with the much-needed control to get the perfect cuts.
Table Saw Miter Gauge Reviews
1. Editor’s Choice: INCRA Miter1000/HD Miter Gauge
Features & Benefits
- The INCRA miter gauge is designed with a patented GlideLOCK miter bar which adjusts to fit any standard table saw. It can fit square-sided miter slots measuring between 3/4" wide and 3/8” deep. The adjustment range can accommodate actual slot widths between 0.740" and 0.765".
- The gauge is also fitted with an AngleLOCK indexing system with a 180o angle which means it cannot miss angle stops.
- It is also versatile as it allows the user to precisely set and duplicate any angle that they want much quicker. This means the user can adjust to 25.7 degrees for 7-sided objects or 18 degrees for cutting 10-sided objects.
- The steel housing it is made of ensures it is durable.
- The gauge has its marking laser cut on a solid steel making them permanently visible.
- Easy to use.
- High precision
- Slides predictably on the table saw surface.
- Comfortable handle to grip.
- Adjustable miter slot.
- Ease of adjustability.
- Fits most saws and other tools that need a miter gauge.
- It is designed for manual operation with no need for power.
- Big and bulky for people who prefer moving with their tools a lot.
- Miter gauge indexing at 1-degree spacing makes it frail.
- Rough finish on the miter groove.
2. Budget Pick: INCRA MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge
Features & Benefits
- The INCRA MITERV27 features four adjusting expansion points that allow zero side play.
- It is also designed with a universal mounting bracket which provides support for any user-made fence.
- The gauge is also designed with a combination of its patented Adjustable GlideLOCK Miter Bar and an INCRA exclusive AngleLock indexing system for extreme miter cutting accuracy.
- The gauge is also compatible with square-sided miter slots of 3/4" width and 3/8” in depth. It also accommodates slot widths of between 0.740" to 0.760" for improved versatility.
- The miter gauge also features a Flip Shop Stop and dual pivoting flip arms that provide repeated accuracy instantly.
- It is designed with 27 angle stops that provide an incremental control for increase precision.
- Compact design eases portability.
- Fits most tools from a table saw to band saw, disk sander, router table, and belt sander.
- Super-fast adjusting angle.
- The housing material is a bit weak.
3. Best Quality: Kreg KMS7102 Table Saw Precision Miter Gauge System
Features & Benefits
- The miter gauge has a brass pin that allows for quick changes between positive stop angles.
- The precision miter gauge system provides a long and anodized aluminum fence and stops system. These features allow the user to make accurate and repeatable cuts and with ease.
- It also features a 24” bar with 5 bar adjusters that help to eliminate play between the bar and miter slot.
- It also comes with a 24” fence with a swing stop and a self-adhesive measuring tape for increase precision and efficiency.
- It is also designed to save the user’s time with its factory-calibration.
- The miter gauge also features positive stops at 0°, 10°, 221/2°, 30°, and 45° for ease of cutting and increased accuracy.
- The Vernier scale allows the user fast adjustments to 1/10th of a degree when they want to cut at more complicated angles.
- The gauge is also designed with a precision lens cursor which is clear and also offers a high-visibility red line marking. This allows the user to easily set the Swing stop for precise cuts time after time.
- The five-bar adjusters help to minimize play with the turn of a screwdriver.
- It also allows for additional adjustments with the micro adjuster up to a 1/100th degree.
- Factory calibrated
- Easy cleanup
- Simple and quick assembly.
- Easy angle adjustment.
The measurements may fade off.
4. INCRA MiterV120 Miter Gauge
Features & Benefits
- The INCRA gauge is designed with four patented GlideLOCK miter bar adjustments that ensure a perfect and low-friction fit in various machines using just a standard miter slot.
- The design is also small and compact which allows it to fit into other machines without too much of a squeeze.
- It is compatible with various machines and can fit into square-sided slots of 3/4" width and 3/8” depth. Also, its adjustment range accommodates slots with widths of between 0.740" to 0.760" for increased versatility.
- Small, compact, and lightweight design.
- High resolution and repeated accuracy.
- The GlideLOCK system adjustment is a bit flimsy and needs some improvement.
- Considerably heavier
5. O'skool 18 Inch Miter Gauge Fence System
Features & Benefits
- This O’skool miter gauge features three sprung loaded ball bearings that help to keep the bar snug in the track. They also help to keep the fence running true without side-play.
- It also has a clear read scale which makes it easy to set any intermediate angle.
- Its fence also makes cutting or sanding more accurate and safer. It also makes the perfect miters quickly.
- The 18” long bar has a removable locking washer that helps to make it usable with any standard 3/4" x 3/8" track or similar sized T-slot.
- Easy to adjust miter bar.
- Accurate gauge and easy to use.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Does not come with detailed user instructions and manual.
A miter gauge is an important component of a table tool for sanding, sawing, or cutting. Whether you want to trim your lumber or you are cutting your workpieces using a miter saw, the miter gauge is your best bet for precision. It makes work easier as the alignment is made perfectly well without losing the tiny yet important bits of the cutting lines.
What is a miter guide for table saw?
A miter gauge is a component used for holding workpieces at a determined angle for them to be worked on. They can either be cut using a table saw, or band saw or be sanded using a disk sander. The gauge is designed to slide in a slot (usually referred to as a miter slot) on the worktable on the machine that is being used.
The workpiece and miter gauge are held and moved together by hand across the worktable for the cut or sanding. Some miter gauges can be used to clamp workpieces while some have adjustable stops that ensure a repetitive machining of the workpiece.
What to Consider While Buying the best miter gauge for table saw
When shopping for the miter gauge, you no doubt want to get the best from a pool of the top-rated ones. Here are some of the things to consider to get what you desire:
This involves how compatible is the miter gauge is to the tool you are buying it for. If you are buying it for the table saw, for example, it should be one that will fit into it seamlessly and perform their combined tasks without a hitch.
Quality of Components
This boils down to the parts that make the gauge and their quality. The higher their quality, the longer the miter gauge will last you as well as the better the quality of its services. The components should also give you an irresistible combination that will ensure the much-needed precision, ease of operation, and flexibility.
The ideal gauge that you should look for should be one that promises reduced friction. As such, you should opt for the one that will offer zero friction by all means.
Adjustable Fence Mounting Bracket
If you want to mount an existing fence, the miter gauge you select should have an adjustable fence mounting bracket. This should help you to adjust any fence quickly and with ease.
Capacity and Range
The maximum capacity and range of your preferred miter gauge should allow for different tasks. You should also reconsider the width of the gauge along the scale present to determine whether the gauge can be used on wide and thick materials.
Each miter gauge is designed with various accessories depending on the tool it is to be used with. For instance, if your saw has a retaining T-clip, then you should look for a gauge with a T-slot.
Before any purchase, the price of the commodity should be among the top considerations. The same case should apply to a miter gauge, and the price should match the service it will give you.
OUR TOP PICKS
How to Tune Your Miter Gauge for Proper Functionality
As an important component of your workshop, you would want the miter gauge to be working properly. Here are some of the greatest ways of keeping it in good working conditions:
Keep It Clean
As it is with any other item in your toolset, a miter gauge gets gummed up with chips, dust, and debris during work. It is, therefore, important that you disassemble it and clean all its components. You can use a brass bristle brush and solvent and after lubricate all moving parts regularly.
Straighten the Bar
If the miter bar is a bit crooked or does not fit into a miter slot, take time to straighten it. You can do this by rubbing the concave edge on a self-adhesive sandpaper attached to your table saw top.
Adjust the Screws
Some miter gauges are sold with bars that fit easily without peening. If you need to adjust the screws, follow the user’s manual and adjust them until the bar slides easily in the slot without sideways movement.
Set for Square
If the 90-degree stop does not prove accurate, you can correct it using a reliable square. The square will help you to set the angle, and then you can tighten the head in place. You can also reset the cursor for it to align with the 0o/90o reading on the miter scale.
Set the Miter Stops
Check the 45o miter stops and set them using a drafting triangle. You can attach MDF blocks with a double-faced tap to the triangle to make sure you align one edge with the square’s edge. Set one block against the miter bar while the square’s long edge is set against the head. Now tighten the screws against the flip stop and on the other side.
What is the Best Table Saw Miter Gauge: Our Picks
We feel that our editor’s choice for the best table saw miter gauge is the INCRA Miter1000/HD Miter... It is a High Definition one with a telescoping IncraLOCK cut-off fence and flip shop stop plus a steel Vernier scale for up to 1/10o adjustment. Also, with six expansion disks for adjusting both sides of the bar for zero side play and low-friction travel, the miter gauge promises excellent fit to standard miter saws and incredible accuracy.
Our budget pick is the Incra MITERV27 Miter V27... which is also designed for improved precision. With 27 precision angle stops, a 5-degree angle between stops, and an angle range of 120-degrees, it is a product that outweighs its price and guarantees results.
The Kreg KMS7102 Table Saw... is our best value pick. With factory calibration on the ready, a Vernier scale that allows for faster 1/10th-degree angle adjustments, and a micro adjuster for additional angle adjustment, it is worth its price tag.
References & Further Reading
Last update on 2019-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API