Drilling holes through wood and metal work pieces requires the best drill press. If you want to express your ingenuity and get your job done satisfactorily, making the right choice for the tool is crucial. To get one that promises and delivers precision, read through for more insights on some of the finest drill presses.
Top Rated Drill Presses. Our Picks
|WEN 4208T 2.3-Amp 8-Inch 5-Speed...||8,123 Reviews||$124.17||See More Details|
|SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press||1,047 Reviews||See More Details|
|ShopSeries RK7033 6.2-Amp 10" Drill...||43 Reviews||See More Details|
|HICO 8-Inch Bench Top Drill Press 5...||45 Reviews||See More Details|
Best Drill Press for Metal Reviews
1. Editor’s Choice: WEN 4212 10-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press
No products found.
The No products found. boasts of a variable speed control mechanism that allows optimum control of the speeds per the application. The drill press also features a powerful 4.5-Amp that enables it to drill through metal, wood, and plastic with ease. Additionally, it is designed with a ½-inch keyed chuck making it easy to drill into heavy-duty cast iron easily.
Also, the WEN 4212 has a laser light guide for drilling precision even in darker workplaces. Its motor also features a ball bearing technology that ensures extended life and enhanced performance.
- Spindle depth adjustment.
- Variable speed control.
- Laser light guide.
- Strong bore power
- Takes time to assemble.
- The work table may not support heavy-duty projects.
2. Budget Pick: WEN 4208
- Includes a 1/2-inch keyed chuck and onboard key storage
- Operates at 5 different speeds: 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, 3140 RPM
- Spindle travels up to 2 inches with easy to read, locking linear depth stops for accurate and repeatable drilling operations.Cord Length (ft.):6
- Durable 1/3 HP induction motor develops ample torque and power
- 6-1/2 x 6-1/2" worktable is height adjustable and bevels up to 45 degrees left & right
The WEN 4208T 2.3-Amp 8-Inch 5-Speed... features a variable 5-speed control mechanism that allows the user to adjust it per application. It also has a durable 1/3Hp induction motor that gives ample power and torque for different tasks. In addition, it has a ½-inch keyed chuck for drilling through thicker workpieces as well as onboard key storage for more convenience.
The drill press is also designed with a spindle that moves up to 2 inches. The spindle also has an easy-to-read and locking linear depth stop allowing for accurate and repeated drilling. The worktable on the tool is adjustable and bevels up to 45 degrees both sides for more precise drilling angles.
- Sturdy cast iron construction
- Variable speed control.
- Compact design
- Powerful motor
- The chuck may not hold firmly.
- The support springs are not strong for sustained press.
3. Upgrade Pick: SKIL 3320-01
- 1/2-inch keyed chuck. Bump-off switch for added safety
- 5 speeds - 570 - 3,050 RPM
- Adjustable depth stop for accurate measurements and repetitive drilling
- 0-45 degree left/right tilting work surface
- Laser X2 2-beam laser for precise hole alignment
The SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press guarantees the user the versatility and convenience of 5 variable speeds to fit every project. The drill press is also equipped with a bump-off switch that ensures the user’s safety. Additionally, it has an adjustable depth stop that guarantees accurate measurements and repetitive drilling.
The SKIL 3320-01 drill press also has a laser light guide that increases precision and hole alignment. This makes it easy to work even under poorly lit conditions or workstations. If you are looking for a table that allows you to drill at different angles, the SKIL 3320-01 is the ideal tool as it has a tilting work table (0-45 degrees left and right).
- Laser light guide.
- Tilting work table.
- Variable speed control.
- Bump-off switch for enhanced safety.
- Increased vibrations at higher speeds.
- Less powerful.
4. ShopSeries RK7033
- Powerful 6.2-amp drill press ideal for repetitive precision cutting in materials such as wood, plastic, and metal
- Durable cast iron work table bevels up to 45 degrees left and right
- Features five operating speeds ranging from 620 to 3100 rpm
- 1/2˝ drill chuck allows for the use of woodworking and metal drill bits with up to a 1/2˝ shank
- 2 year limited warranty protects against defects in materials and workmanship
If you need a more efficient drill press, the ShopSeries RK7033 6.2-Amp 10" Drill... may be the ideal choice thanks to its powerful 6.2-Amp motor and variable 5-speeds. The powerful motor also allows for repeated precision and drilling through metal, plastic, and wood. Besides, the drill press features a ½-inch drill chuck that allows for deeper penetration into thicker materials.
The ShopSeries RK7033 drill press has a durable cast iron work table that also bevels between 0-45 degrees, left and right. The work table ensures durability while the tilting allows the user to drill at different angles.
- Compact design.
- Easy to assemble and use.
- Drill chuck allows for deeper drilling into thicker materials.
- Not easy to adjust.
- Considerably heavy
5. HICO Bench Top Drill Press
- Includes: Drill Press, 1/2" Keyed Chuck, Chuck Key and Tools for Assembly
- 5-speed settings (760-3070 RPM Range)to accommodate various materials and thicknesses
- Spindle Travel of 2" with easy to read, locking linear depth stop for accurate and repeatable drilling operations
- Durable 2/5HP induction motor develops ample torque and power
- 6-1/2 x 6-1/2" cast iron worktable, height adjustable and bevels up to 45 Degree left & right
The HICO 8-Inch Bench Top Drill Press 5... enhances safety considerations as it has an On/Off switch that prevents accidental starting. The drill press also features a variable 5-speed control mechanism, further enhancing its versatility and the convenience of choosing the right speed for each task. With a rack and pinion table height adjustment mechanism, it also becomes easy to adjust it to fit any workpiece.
The drill press also boasts of a sturdy cast iron base that ensures more stability during operation and a spindle that goes up to 2 inches. The spindle also moves to a linear locking depth for more accuracy.
- Variable 5-speed rotary tool.
- Rack and pinion table height adjustment.
- Safety On/Off switch.
- Not designed for heavier or long-term projects.
- No assembly manual.
Things to Know When Buying a Drill Press
Whether you are looking for a drill press or for any other type of drill, precision, versatility, and convenience are top considerations. As for the technical considerations, check out the following things before you buy it:
If your project needs a deeper or broader hole, it will require more horsepower from the drill press. If it is a shallow or thinner hole that you need to drill, lesser power may be ideal for you. Therefore, you should consider your project’s needs first when choosing a drill press based on power.
When it comes to speed, the higher it is, the better the tool primarily for larger and thicker workpieces. If you are drilling through hardwoods or metals, for instance, you may want to consider a drill press with more speed compared to when working on softwood. Also, if you have a different range of materials, you can go for a drill press with variable speed control to ensure you can match speeds with the materials.
For every tool, accessories are designed for different tasks, like making drilling easier or more precise. When it comes to a drill press, you should look for accessories such as laser guide for accurate drilling, On/Off switch for preventing accidental starting, and rollers for making it easy to work with longer workpieces. Other accessories may include a heavy-duty stand, sturdy housing, and a drill press clamp for holding materials in place.
The table size is important when you are working with different sizes of workpieces. If the materials are larger, a drill press with a large table would be the ideal tool. However, some tables may be small but have rollers for moving workpieces on.
The pricing of drill presses is another top consideration to make. If running on a tight budget, for example, you should settle for one that meets your budget. However, you should not compromise quality because of low pricing.
While shopping for the best drill press, the top considerations to make usually are your needs and the scope of your project. While deciding may be tough because there are many varieties out there, this article is best placed to help you to decide. Due diligence is, however, a point worth investing in.
Last update on 2022-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API