A quality tool should not only make work easier but should also be efficient enough for each desired result. A saw, for example, should cut through workpieces with the same precision and ripping effects over its lifetime. These are the ideal qualities that one should look for in the best chainsaw before buying one.
Below is a list of some of the best chainsaws that you can purchase for a myriad of projects.
Top Rated Chainsaws. Our Picks
|Greenworks 40V 12" Chainsaw, 2.0Ah...||4,319 Reviews||$150.62||See More Details|
|Metabo HPT Tanaka TCS33EDTP/12 32.2cc...||163 Reviews||See More Details|
|EGO Power+ CS1400 14-Inch 56-Volt...||1,348 Reviews||$229.00||See More Details|
|Worx WG304.1 15 Amp 18" Electric...||2,074 Reviews||$129.99||See More Details|
Best Chainsaw Reviews
1. Editor’s Pick: Husqvarna 455 Rancher
No products found.
Our editor’s choice is the No products found., which is ideal for heavy-duty applications. The chainsaw features a 2-cycle engine that has an inertia-activated chain brake enhancing more operating safety. The saw also has a side-mounted chain tensioning system that allows for quick chain adjustments.
The chainsaw is designed with a quick-release air filter that allows for easy cleaning and replacement of the air filter. Additionally, it has an X-Torq technology that delivers lower fuel consumption and reduces exhaust emission levels. It also has a low vibration system, thereby easing the handling.
- Powerful 9,000 RPM speeds.
- Low vibration
- Low fuel consumption
- Front handle ergonomics.
- Combined choke/stop control.
- Plastic handle tends to break easily.
- Unreliable customer service.
2. Budget Pick: Greenworks Cordless Chainsaw
- 40V COMPACT CHAINSAW – perfect for homeowners and occasional users
- 12" BAR AND CHAIN – Low kickback safety chain with hand guard for added protection
- AUTOMATIC OILER - applies oil to bar and chain when needed to ensure durability and optimal use
- TOOL-LESS TENSIONING – for easy bar and chain maintenance
- EASY TO USE – electric start, no gas or fumes, no carburetor, no spark plug, and no starter rope
Our budget pick is the Greenworks 40V 12" Chainsaw, 2.0Ah... chainsaw designed with a robust steel chain and bar and tool-less chain tensioning. These features guarantee ease of use. The saw also has a 3/8” chain pitch that delivers the required amount of cutting capabilities and with minimal kickbacks.
The Greenworks chainsaw also features an automatic oiler for applying oil to the chain and bar when necessary. This also ensures durability and optimal use. It also has a translucent oil tank that gives a clear view of oil levels and an instant electric start for increased efficiency.
- Lightweight design and portability.
- Ergonomic handle
- Smooth operation and less noise.
- Only works with G-Max batteries.
- Not powerful enough for wet hardwood.
3. Upgrade Pick: Tanaka TCS33EDTP
- 12-Inch top handle chain saw with 32.2cc commercial grade pure fire engine to provide a clean, powerful performance with less fuel consumption
- Half throttle choke with purge primer bulb for easy start and warm up. Fuel Capacity (fl oz) : 9.9. Fuel Mix Ratio : 50 : 1
- Automatic gear-driven oiler and a side access chain tensioning providing quick and convenient chain adjustment
- Sprocket nose bar with Oregon chain provides added control for easier cuts
- Comes with a 7-year consumer, 2-year commercial and 1-year rental warranty
The Metabo HPT Tanaka TCS33EDTP/12 32.2cc... is our upgrade pick, a saw with an outstanding power-to-weight ratio for reduced fatigue and increased productivity. It also has a 32.2cc commercial grade pure fire engine. This ensures it gives a clean, powerful performance, and lower fuel consumption.
The Tanaka chainsaw also features a half throttle choke and a purge primer bulb allowing for an easy start and warm-up. Additionally, it has an automatic gear-driven oiler and a side access chain tensioning that ensure quick and convenient chain adjustment. Also, it features a sprocket nose bar for added control and easier cuts.
- Lower fuel consumption.
- Bar and chain protective cover.
- Reduced vibration
- Automatic gear-driven oiling.
- The bolt fastening the air cleaner keeps getting loose as it only covers a 2/3 turn between ‘open' to ‘locked.'
- Leaks bar oil when sitting.
4. EGO Power+ CS1400 Cordless Chainsaw
- High-efficiency Brushless Motor with 6300 RPM
- 14 in. bar and chain
- Weather-resistant construction
- Chain kickback brake for added safety and control
- Chain Tension Adjustment
The EGO Power+ CS1400 14-Inch 56-Volt... has a hi-efficiency brushless motor that guarantees speeds of up to 6,300RPM, making it ideal for faster and precise sawing needs. The saw also features a chain kickback brake which increases safety and enhances control. It also has weather and water-resistant construction, allowing the user to work with it under different weather conditions.
The chainsaw is also environmentally friendly as it delivers a performance with less noise and fuss and fumes emissions. It is also lightweight, and without a power cord, it is easy to move with from one workstation to the other.
- Lightweight design and portability.
- Powerful motor and faster speeds.
- Chain kickback brake for enhanced safety.
- Not friendly to inexperienced chainsaw users.
- A short delay between pulling the trigger the motor starting.
5. WORX WG304.1
- 15.0 Amp motor output delivers a more powerful cutting performance to the extended, 18-inch bar
- Patented auto-tension chain system prevents over-tightening; stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Low kickback bar and built-in chain brake for added safety
- Automatic oil lubrication and built-in oil reservoir with window level indicator
- Comes fully assembled right out of the box, and includes 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
The Worx WG304.1 15 Amp 18" Electric... features a 15-Amp motor that delivers more cutting power and increases performance. The chainsaw is also designed with an auto-tension chain system that prevents over-tightening. Additionally, the machine has an in-built chain brake and low kickback bar for added safety.
The WORX machine also comes assembled, reducing the set-up time for the user. If you are looking for more convenience, the WORX WG304.1 promises that as it starts instantly. With an automatic oil lubrication, built-in oil reservoir, and an oil level indicator, the chainsaw becomes ideal for enhanced convenience and efficiency.
- Powerful motor
- Environmentally friendly with less fume’s emission.
- Lightweight design
- Safe and easy to use.
- Drive gear plastic cover strips out easily.
- Customer care service unreliable.
Things to Know When Buying a Chainsaw
For most saws, the components it comprises of make the difference when it comes to service delivery. While shopping for a chainsaw, here are some of the things you should look for in one.
The first thing worth noting is that every saw is designed for a particular purpose. This allows the manufacturer to fit each saw with features that will fit a specific project. For example, a chainsaw meant for bucking small logs would have a 6-9-Amps motor and a bar length of between 8-14.
Engine Power Type
Chainsaws are powered by gas, electric current, or batteries. Depending on each engine power type, the service delivery for each saw can be varied from the others. It is, therefore, upon you to gauge the exact needs for your project and decide on the type of engine power that you want for your saw.
As it is a power tool, it depends on a motor to run its chain. Therefore, determining the chainsaw to buy should primarily be dependent on its motor power. This, in return, is defined by your intended project and the product you settle for should meet all your project needs.
As it is with any power tool, the safety of a chainsaw user is paramount. At the point of purchase, you should check every chainsaw and what safety features it has. Some of the features include electric brakes, anti-kickback, and inertia-activated modes.
A chainsaw should be easy to handle. It should also offer comfort and guarantee less fatigue, low vibrations, and improved balance.
The weight aspect is important for portability. If you want a machine that you can carry on and off the site, a saw with a lightweight design should be among your choices.
It is also worth noting that a saw bought at point A may have different pricing at store B. Also, the pricing may be varied from one manufacturer to the other based on their specifications.
The decision on what chainsaw to buy is entirely dependent on the owner and the project at hand. However, buying the best chainsaw is a crucial consideration for every homeowner or landowner. Considering the key factors outlined above may save you valuable time and efforts while buying your ideal tool.
Chainsaw Buying Guides
Last update on 2023-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API